Eating Animals is a well-researched, well-told expose of factory farming in America and the world. Anyone who isn't already making deliberately considered choices about food ought to read this book. Just a few things I learned in Eating Animals:
· More than ten billion land animals are slaughtered every year in America.
· Euthanized cats and dogs are fed to our food.
· Meat is a $140 billion industry that occupies 1/3 of the Earth's land.
· 80-90% of sea animals caught in shrimp trawling are bycatch, thrown overboard, dead or dying.
· Animal agriculture contribues 27% to climate change than all the transportation in the world combined.
There's lots more, and much of it has to do with the gruesome treatment of our food and just how disgustingly disease-ridden it is (the sort of stuff that huge corporations like Tyson, Purdue, and Smithfield don't want us to know). Read this book [ full review